Uses of Coconut Oil (Besides Food)
Non-Food Health benefits:
Hair Care: The unique fatty acids in coconut oil have a small molecular structure and pass freely into the hair’s cell membrane, allowing for the oil to penetrate the hair’s shaft.
Massaging oil into the scalp can offer relief from dandruff. Coconut oil can kill the fungus and dryness that causes dandruff. A teaspoon or two on damp hair left on as long as possible then rinsed out will leave your hair beautiful.
Skin Care: The medium chain triglyceride acts as a protective barrier against environmental and free radical damage. It also screens up to 20% of ultraviolet sun exposure. Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants and is a natural anti-microbial and anti-bacterial agent. Due to this it is the perfect anti aging moisturizer. It contains Vitamin E, help in the recovery of skin abrasions, burns and other trauma. It is excellent in the treatment for eczema.
Weight loss: Medium Chain fatty acids found in coconut oil can speed up metabolism faster than long chain fatty acids because they are easily digested and convert into energy.
General Health: Coconut Oil may lower the risk of diabetes, heart disease and improve cholesterol levels. Studies show people who take coconut oil improved their cholesterol profile along with higher HDL levels and higher HDL: LDL ratio. Research also has found coconut oil may help prevent osteoporosis because it helps in nutrient absorption of mineral such as calcium and magnesium. MCT produce energy rather than body fat, thereby improving metabolism and preventing fatigue.
Coconut Oil also has been known to:
Kill bacteria, ease acid reflux, aid in proper bowel function, lower incidence of hemorrhoids, relieves intestinal problems, sooths ear aches, strengthen the liver, reduces joint and muscle inflammation.
Other Coconut Oil Uses:
- To help you feel full – mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with water and drink 20 -30 minutes before a meal. You will eat less at the meal because you will already feel full!
- Eat a spoonful for an energy boost
- Super hair conditioner
- Skin moisturizer
- Replace butter, shortening and other fats
- Use instead of shaving cream
- Makeup remover
- Use to treat athlete’s foot or other fungal infections
- Add to smoothies for extra nutrition
- Great for diaper rash and cradle cap
- Use it to treat lice with apple cider vinegar
- Mix in your hot coffee or tea
- Mix with oil of oregano and use at the first sign of a cold sore
- Mix with sugar for a body scrub
- Rub onto lips as a natural chap stick
- Rub to in the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
- Mix with chia for a double energy booster!
- Use it to on mosquito bites, poison ivy etc. to reduce itch
How to store coconut oil: You can store your Carrington Farms Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil in the pantry, the refrigerator or at room temperature. If it’s hot (or above about 75 degrees F) it will turn to a liquid, a little cooler it will become solid. In the fridge it will become very hard. If the oil is very hard and you can’t scoop it out just warm it a bit to make it softer. You can put the jar in a warm ‘bath’ or in the microwave for a few seconds.
Shelf Life: Carrington Farms Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil has a shelf life of 2 years. It’s pretty safe to assume it will be fine for much longer but after the expiration date please look for signs of spoilage after the printed date. Spoilage signs will include discoloration, odor, mold, and off taste.