Coconut Oil FAQs
- Coconut Oil FAQs
CARRINGTON FARMS ORGANIC UNREFINED COCONUT OIL FAQs
1) Are the plastic jars BPA Free?
2) Do you use Hexane?
No, our coconut oil is hexane free.
3) Is your Coconut Oil unrefined and do you use chemicals?
Yes, Carrington Farms coconut oil is unrefined and no chemicals are used in the processing of the coconut oil.
4) Where the coconuts are grown and where it is processed?
The coconuts are grown on Organic farms in the Philippines.
5) Is it certified organic and non-GMO coconut oil?
Yes, we are certified by Quality Assurance International and all our coconuts are non-GMO.
6) Is the coconut oil made from fresh coconuts, not dried copra?
Yes, we use young coconuts and not dried copra.
7) Is there heat applied in the processing?
No, we use a cold expeller press process.
8) Is it refined, bleached or deodorized?
Our virgin coconut oil is Unrefined, unbleached and un-deodorized.
9) Can I make cookies and cakes with coconut oil instead of butter or oil?
Yes, coconut oil is great as a fat replacer for baking, cooking, etc. Use on a 1:1 ratio – for every 1 teaspoon of butter, use 1 teaspoon of coconut oil; for 1 tablespoon of oil use 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, etc.
10) Is your Coconut oil processed in a nut free facility?
Yes our facility is a peanut and tree nut free (except coconuts).
11) Why was the Coconut Oil a liquid or solid at the store and now it is a solid or liquid?
Coconut oil changes from liquid to solid at around 74-76 degrees F. The nutritional make up of the coconut oil is not altered at all when it changes from liquid to solid.
12) How do I make my solid coconut oil into liquid?
The easiest way to do this if you only want a small amount is to put it in a bowl and put the bowl in a “warm bath”. (put the coconut oil bowl in another bowl that is filled with warm water).
13) How do I make my liquid coconut oil into a solid?
Keep the jar in a cool place. If none is available you can put it in the refrigerator.
14) Do you use heat in the extraction process?
No, our process is cold and at no time during our processing is there external heat applied.
15) Do you use any animal testing on your products?
No we do not.
16) What is the breakdown of Medium Chain Triglycerides in your coconut oil?
Each tablespoon (14 g) coconut oil will provide 6.2 g lauric acid, g caprylic acid and 800 mg capric acid.
17) How much Omega 6 and 9’s are in your coconut oil?
There is 924 mg of Omega 9’s and 252 mg of Omega 6’s per 1 tablespoon (14 g).
18) Is there a difference between Virgin and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?
No! Click here for the 411 on Extra Virgin vs Virgin Coconut Oil
CARRINGTON FARMS LIQUID COCONUT OIL FAQs
1) How does Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil stay liquid?
All Coconut oil is made up of a number of different fatty acids, all of which have their own distinct melting points. The fatty acids with higher melting points are the reason regular coconut oil is solid at room temperature (approximately 68 degrees F). Through our proprietary distillation process, fatty acids with higher melting points are removed, concentrating and leaving the fatty acids with lower melting points. The final result is healthy and convenient-to-use liquid coconut oil.
2) How is Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil made?
Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil starts with certified organic coconuts that are cold expeller pressed into oil. It then goes through our proprietary distillation process, which separates out fatty acids that have higher melting points. This leaves us with liquid coconut oil containing a higher concentration of those healthy fatty acids that have a low melting points, allowing Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil to remain liquid at room temperature.
3) Should I use Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil or Carrington Farms Extra Virgin Coconut oil?
You can use both! Coconut Cooking Oil is a perfect cooking oil alternative. It’s extremely convenient and easy to use, it’s more stable than other traditional cooking oils and it’s flavorless, so it’s ideal for a wide variety of cooking and baking applications.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is also fantastic for a variety of uses. In addition to the many cooking applications, it’s perfect for hair and skin – use it as a skin moisturizer, a hair conditioner or hot oil treatment, or use it in your favorite at-home skin or hair mask recipe. The rich natural coconut flavor of our Carrington Farms Extra Virgin Coconut Oil also makes a delicious substitute for baking and cooking.
4) Does Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil still contain MCTs?
The fatty acids in coconut oil with the lowest melting points are healthy Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). MCTs have long been associated with many of the benefits of coconut oil. They are quickly converted to energy in the body and because they are not directly absorbed, they don’t get deposited as fat tissue in the body. Because of proprietary distillation process used to make Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil, the amount of healthy MCTs is actually 4 times more than in regular coconut oil!
5) Can Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil solidify?
Yes, if Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil is stored below room temperature, it will start to solidify. The reason is in our distillation process. We wanted to make sure that as we formulated this product, we would keep the maximum amount of the fatty acids found in coconut oil. Some of them – such as lauric acid – have higher melting points, and while we considered the option of developing our Coconut Cooking Oil to stay liquid at lower temperatures, it came at the cost of losing these valuable fatty acids.
Carrington Farms Coconut Cooking Oil will remain liquid at room temperature (approximately 68 degrees), so if you find your Coconut Cooking Oil has solidified, or is starting to solidify – there’s nothing to worry about – just move it to a warmer location in your kitchen to bring it back to room temperature, and it will return to its easy-to-use liquid state!
6) Are there chemicals used in the distillation process?
No! The process is an all natural one.