What is Lupin Flour?
Hailing from the Mediterranean and made from the ground lupin bean, lupin flour has become a popular gluten-free alternative to traditional ingredients in modern diets. While still lesser known than other gluten-free flour alternatives, lupin flour is quickly gaining a reputation as a healthy ingredient for paleo, keto, and vegan diets.
Let's explore the world of lupin flour to learn what it is, what makes this alternative flour special, and how you can incorporate lupin flour into your diet today.
What IS Lupin Flour?
Lupin flour, made from lupin beans, originally made waves thanks to keto dieters as it became a quick alternative to traditional wheat flour. Lupin beans hail from the legume family and are related to the peanut, with similar benefits including high levels of protein with minimal levels of carbohydrates. Consumption of lupin beans has been traced back to ancient Egypt in the 22nd century BCE.
Lupin beans are available in sweet and bitter varieties. Sweet beans are far more popular as the bitter lupin beans feature toxic alkaloids, though they are edible. Lupin flour is distinguishable from all-purpose flour due to its consistency, taste, and different smell. Most recipes incorporating lupin flour will advocate for complementary seasonings to balance the bitter flavor.
What Are the Benefits of Lupin Flour?
The health benefits of lupin flour are expansive and a good reason to consider making a diet change. Carrington Farms Lupin Flour features all of the traditional benefits of the bean in a convenient and tasty package.
Let's take a closer look at the primary benefits that lupin flour provides.
- Protein - Just 1/4 cup of lupin flour will provide 12 grams of protein. High-quality protein is integral to our health and wellness and lupin beans provide complete protein sources. Protein sourced from lupin flour will contain every amino acid the human body needs to function correctly.
- Fiber - Ideal for helping lose weight and beneficial to your digestive system; fiber provided by lupin flour can positively impact your entire body. Fiber helps you to feel full while avoiding empty calories, stimulating your metabolism along the way. Lupin Flour from Carrington Farms features 12 grams of fiber per serving.
- Keto-Friendly - While following the keto diet, it is important to maintain a state of ketosis, the natural process where the human body doesn't have enough carbs to burn for its energy source. During this stage, our bodies will burn fat by making ketones, aka fuel. Discuss any major diet changes with a physician before enacting them.
- Low Carb - Just a single carb per 1/4 cup serving of lupin flour proves everything you need to know about this ingredient. For comparison's sake, almond flour features 3g net carbs per serving. If you are getting real about cutting carbs, lupin flour can help you get there.
- Gluten Free - For individuals with gluten sensitivity, Lupin Flour can make cooking easy again. Lupin flour by Carrington Farms can be added with ease to pancakes, pizza crusts, and any other baked goods.
Each cup of lupin flour by Carrington Farms features
- Net Carbs - 2g
- Fiber - 12g
- Protein - 13g
- Sugar - 1g
Where Did Lupin Flour Come From?
Lupin beans traveled the world before settling onto your plate, originating from Latin America, North America, and the Mediterranean. Lupin beans are most notable while they are still growing, appearing in yellow, purple, or blue cone-shaped flowers. To turn lupin beans into lupin flour, manufacturers must first dry the beans before processing them into a fine powder.
Still not popular enough to be widely available at every grocery store, lupin flour can be tough to track down. There are other names for lupin flour to be aware of as well: lupin sprouts, lupin milk, lupine beans, miracle flour, and even just Lupine.
Shop Today at Carrington Farms!
Carrington Farms was founded in 1999 under the guiding hands of David Eben and Brad Miller. With more than two decades of experience supplying customers with high-quality and nutritious products, Carrington Farms is proud to offer innovative products at unbeatable prices.
What separates Carrington Farms from other businesses is their complete focus on quality control, beginning with face-to-face meetings with farmers to ensure the best quality ingredients make it to their store.
Start shopping at Carrington Farms today to enjoy!
- USDA Organic Products
- NON-GMO Project Verified
- Simple, Real, and Clean Products
- Customer Service Guaranteed!