Turkey Pot Pie
Flaky, Cassava flour crust with a creamy, savory filling is simple and delicious.
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups Carrington Farms Cassava Flour
- 1/2 cup Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1-2 tbsp ice water
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6-8 sage leaves
- 2 tbsp Carrington Farms Cassava Flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup steamed peas
- 1 cup shredded roasted turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
To make the crust:
- In a large bowl, stir together Carrington Farms Cassava Flour, salt, and Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil until completely moistened. Add 1-2 tablespoons of ice water, until the dough can be squeezed together and remains clumped.
- Turn the dough onto a work surface and knead gently into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
For the pot pie:
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Heat Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil and butter in a large sauté pan set over medium heat. When the butter is melted and oil is hot, add the diced carrots and celery along with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the diced onion and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes more, until onions are softened and mixture is fragrant. Stir in the fresh herbs and another 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Stir in the cassava flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. While continuing to stir, stream in the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the turkey, peas, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a deep pie dish and let cool slightly.
- While the filling is cooling, roll the crust out between two pieces of parchment paper. The crust should be slightly larger than the pie dish and about 1/4” thick. Place in the fridge once more to firm up if too soft.
- Gently lay the pie crust on top of the filling, peel away the parchment paper, cut a few slits in the crust for venting, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.