Spiral Vegetable Tart
This nutrient packed recipe will make anyone excited to eat their veggies and it's a perfect pair to Carrington Farms Mustard Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Lupin Flour, and Organic Ghee.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 ½ cups Carrington Farms Lupin Flour
- 1/2 cup Carrington Farms Organic Ghee
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Carrington Farms Xanthan Gum
- 1 medium egg
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Tart Filling:
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in oil and drained
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Carrington Farms Mustard Seed Oil, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 2-3 medium carrots
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
To make the Pie Crust:
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and pulse until you have a solid dough. It may be a bit sticky.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and wrap in parchment paper. Chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to firm up before rolling.
- Place the pastry dough in between two layers of parchment paper and roll out to the size of your baking dish. Grease a baking dish with Carrington Farms Organic Ghee before placing the pastry in. Place the baking dish with the pie crust back into the fridge.
To make the Tart Filling:
- While the dough is chilling, trim the edges of the zucchini, squash, and carrots. Slice the vegetables into long, thin slices, using a mandolin, vegetable peeler, or a sharp knife.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with dry beans or a pie weight. Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- While the crust cools, make the pesto. Combine the sundried tomatoes, basil, and garlic in a food processor or blender. Pulse several times, then slowly add in 1/4 cup of Carrington Farms Mustard Seed Oil and continue to pulse until the pesto reaches the consistency of spreadable paste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the pesto along the bottom of the tart. Quickly dip one piece of sliced vegetable in the remaining Mustard Seed Oil, or bush with oil using a pastry brush. Roll the strip into a tight circle and place in the center of the tart. Dip the next vegetable slice in Carrington Farms Mustard Seed Oil and roll around the first slice. Continue wrapping the vegetable slices in concentric circles until the tart is full.
- Brush the top of the vegetable tart with any remaining Carrington Farms Mustard Seed Oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chopped fresh thyme.
- Bake at 350 °F for 45 to 50 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender and cooked through.
- Cool in a tart pan for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.