Vegan Cheesy Pumpkin Rolls
Made with Carrington Farms Sweet Potato Flour, these rolls are equally as fun to make as they are to eat.
- 1⁄2 cup plant milk, lukewarm
- 2 1⁄4 tsp instant dry yeast, (equivalent to 1 packet)
- 3 1/2 cups Carrington Farms Sweet Potato Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup of Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil
- 1 Good Planet Foods Cheddar Wheel
For the Glaze:
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil
- 8 pecan or almond halves, to use as a stems
Make The Dough:
- Combine warm plant milk and active dry yeast. Mix until dissolved. Let bloom for 10 min.
- In the mixing bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine Carrington Farms Sweet Potato Flour and salt, then add in pumpkin puree and bloomed yeast.
- When kneading yeast doughs with a dough hook, use speed 2 and knead for about 2 minutes to initially mix ingredients.
- Set the mixer speed to 1 and slowly add in Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil, at this point you may need to turn off the machine to scrape down the sides, and then proceed to continue mixing for another 3-5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Increase speed to 2, knead dough for 10 minutes, scraping down sides as needed, or until dough springs back when lightly pressed on.
- Remove dough from bowl, and form into a round ball.
- Grease the bowl with ½ tbsp of Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil, place dough ball in, cover bowl with cling wrap, and set it aside in a warm non-drafty spot for 1 hour to rise, or until doubled in size.
While you wait:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut twine into 8 equal pieces.
- Place twine in a bowl and cover with 4 tablespoons of Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil and soak (about 1 hour).
- Cut the cheese wheel from the middle outward, into 8 equal triangles.
Prepare the dough:
- When dough has risen twice in size, punch down the dough and split into 8 equal pieces.
- Work with 1 piece of dough at a time, leave the rest of the dough covered, roll into a ball and flatten it into a disk with the palm of your hand. Fold the dough back into itself and repeat.
- Place 1 piece of cheese in the center of the flattened dough disk. Fold the edges into the center to completely cover the cheese. Gently pinch ends. Roll the dough into a ball and set it aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
Shaping into a pumpkin:
- Wrap each ball of dough with a piece of twine 4 times, pivoting 45 degrees with each wrap. Twine should divide the dough ball into 8 fairly equal sections, being mindful of not making it too tight. Tie a knot in the twine and place the dough ball on the baking sheet.
- Leave around 1-2 inches of space between the dough balls. Brush with Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Cooking Oil or vegan egg wash, cover with cling wrap, and allow them to rise for 15-20 minutes. While you wait, preheat the oven to 355°F.
- Remove all cling wrap.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting off the twine.
- Poke a hole at the top of the bun with a chopstick and insert a pecan half to make the pumpkin stem.
The rolls are good in an air-tight container for 2-3 days at room temperature, and for up to 1 week refrigerated. To reheat. Bring to room temperature on the countertop, bake for 5-10 minutes at 350°F to reheat. Serve and enjoy.